To patrol our beach, you must be qualified as a surf lifeguard. If you're over 14 and able to swim, we'll train you up to gain your Surf Lifeguard Award or your Patrol Support Award. Surf Lifeguard Award/Patrol Support training will be held at Titahi Bay SLSC over the following dates:
If you would like to become a lifeguard at Titahi Bay SLSC this season and want to attend the training above, please get in touch with the us - email@example.com.
Training covers modules in surf skills, basic first aid, rescue techniques, and risk management. Some of the skills are taught theoretically, but most are taught in a practical environment. Once your training is completed, you will be examined. The exam will assess your key lifeguarding skills, and involves;
- 400m timed pool swim (completed in under 9 minutes)
- Tube rescue in a pool environment
- Theory Test CPR and first aid
- Radio set up and use Hand signals
- 200m run-swim-run, in the surf environment
- Tube rescue in the surf environment
Once you have gained your Surf Lifeguard Award or Patrol Support Award, Surf Life Saving New Zealand offer many other qualifications.