To patrol our beach, you must be qualified as a surf lifeguard.
If you're over 14 and able to swim, we'll train you up to gain your
Surf Lifeguard Award.
Training covers modules in surf skills, basic first aid, rescue
techniques, and risk management. Some of the skills are taught
theoretically, but most are taught in a practical environment.
Once your training is completed, you will be examined. The exam
will assess your key lifeguarding skills, and involves;
- 400m timed pool swim (completed in under 9 minutes)
- Tube rescue in a pool environment
- Theory Test CPR and first aid
- Radio set up and use Hand signals
- 200m run-swim-run, in the surf environment
- Tube rescue in the surf environment
- Once you've passed all the exam components, you'll be issued
with your Surf Lifeguard Award and a Surf Lifeguard Uniform and be
assigned to a patrol.
Head over to our join the club section for more
information about becoming a lifeguard at Titahi Bay. Here you will
find contact details and more information about signing up.
Once you have gained your Surf Lifeguard Award, Surf
Life Saving New Zealand offer many other
Click here for the Surf Life Saving New Zealand Lifeguard
Click here for the Surf Life Saving New Zealand Sport Pathways